Church History VIIII

The Processional Cross


The processional cross, first carried at the Patronal Festival in 1893 was a united offering of 363 members of the congregation. On silver-gilt (the work of C Krall of London) the front of the cross is patterned in low relief with the symbol of the Lamb of God in the centre and at each end of the four arms an angel. On the arms at the back are engraved the Annunciation, the Shepherds, the
Resurrection and the Ascension. St Michael is in the centre with his lance and shield. The cross is over two feet in height and slides into a large knop embossed with alternating roses and marigolds.


Church Plate


Our oldest piece of church plate is a silver communion cup made in 1630 by James Plummer of York. It is still in use, as is a copy of this cup made in 1876. A large silver-gilt cup with 354 precious stones set in gold was made by C Krall (who also made the processional cross) from a bequest by Annie Smyth in 1891. It includes scenes from the Passion, on its base, in silver on coloured enamel, figures of St Wilfrid (patron saint of the diocese), St Peter (patron saint of Leeds) and St Michael on the stem and the emblems of the evangelists in the knop.


In 1932 Pansy Pulleyene, who had been a missionary in Palestine, presented an alms dish from Jerusalem made of brass with silver figures of Adam and Eve in Eden. Other gifts include many items given as thank offerings: the brass Altar Cross commemorates a silver wedding, a lighter, plainer processional cross which is used frequently (for the women to carry), was given by Susan Youell in memory of her husband and mother.


Memorials
In addition to the war memorial, there are several individual memorials to men
who were killed in the First World War, as well as tributes to past clergy such as
Canon Frederick J Wood who had been on the staff of the Leeds Parish Church for
23 years and then spent 33 years as Vicar of Headingley. Other memorials include
those to John Mozley, a frequent preacher at St Michael's in the early 20th century,
and to Susan Riding 'Nurse in this parish'.

 


Church History
Webpage icon Church History II
Webpage icon Church History III
Webpage icon Church History IV
Webpage icon Church History V
Webpage icon Church History VI
Webpage icon Church History VII
Webpage icon Church History VIII
Webpage icon Church History X
Webpage icon Church History XI Acknowlegements
Printer Printable Version