Go back to normal view
Director of Music at St. Michael and All Angels, Headingley
The Vicar and PCC of St. Michael’s Church, St. Michael’s Road, Headingley, Leeds LS6 3AW invite applications for the post of Director of Music and organist. The post is part-time.
Saint Michael and All Angels' Church is an open and inclusive Church in the Liberal Catholic tradition of the Church of England with a fluid and diverse congregation. During term time, a number of students form part of the worshipping congregation, and this adds to the international flavour of the congregation, both in terms of experience and nationality. The Church is close to the world famous Headingley Cricket Ground and the home of the Rhinos rugby club.
It has a lively musical tradition spanning many years, and of late this has included the recording of a Christmas CD, visits to cathedrals and Greater Churches to sing, and occasional concerts. The choir has sung music in different languages and styles, reflecting the different interests of its members and the congregation as a whole. There is an assistant choirmaster in post who was done a lot of work to maintain and enhance the work of the choir during the vacancy, and in the past to recruit from local schools, a process which needs to be maintained. It is expected that any appointee will work collaboratively with him. The head teacher at our Church School is supportive of the work of the church.
The organ is a fine instrument, built by Abbott and Smith and well maintained. It is a 3 manual instrument with 54 stops, with a detached, moveable console.
The choir, which is mixed, has some 25 members, age range from 8 to 80, and sings two services each Sunday:
10 am Parish Eucharist sung to a variety of settings, (Grayston Ives, Martin How, John Rutter etc.,) with an anthem,
Sung Evensong to Anglican chant with an anthem and occasional settings.
Approximately once a month, there is an All Age Eucharist which offers the opportunity to explore different liturgical themes. In the past this has included Cloth for the Cradle as preparation for Christmas, a Celebration of St. Francis, and Harvest Celebration.
There is currently one full choir practice per week, with a short rehearsal before each service. The choir sings other occasional services as required.
In addition, the choir has an active social life and integrates well with the life of the congregation, which is a diverse community with many international links, something which we are keen to preserve in any appointment.
The remuneration will be on the RSCM scale, depending on skills and experience.
There are approximately 8 Funerals and 2-3 weddings per year which will attract additional fees.
Criteria - Essential
The successful applicant will:
• be in sympathy with the inclusive nature and aims of St Michael's Church
• be an able organist of ARCO or equivalent standard
• be able to demonstrate the ability to accompany a choir and to lead congregational singing.
• be able to demonstrate and give evidence of being able to conduct, lead, recruit and enthuse a
• be able to demonstrate the ability to choose appropriate hymns and anthems from the breadth of
material available, in collaboration with the assistant choir master and the vicar.
• be able to supervise the maintenance of the organ
• be able to demonstrate and give evidence of working collaboratively
• will ensure that all choir events comply with the PCC's safeguarding policy for children and
vulnerable adults, and will be named as group leader for safeguarding purposes in relation to such
• will be keen to work with and develop the junior section of the choir
• be approachable to the choir, parents and congregation, and have good sense of humour
• be subject to an enhanced CRB disclosure, approval of the PCC and completion of a probationary
period of 6 months.
Criteria - Desirable
• be open to exploring fresh ways of enhancing the music of our liturgy
• be supportive of the non-liturgical musical life of the Church
• be able to bring a good sense of humour to the work
More information about the life of St. Michael’s is available on our website:
Informal conversations about this post may be had by contacting the vicar, 0113 274 3238/07711335050.
Application and selection procedure
Applications by letter, including a full c.v., stating why you are interested in the post, how you would fulfil the criteria, ways in which you might contribute to the life of the choir and wider congregation. This should be received by 16th March, giving full details of musical training, qualifications, and experience, together with the names and addresses of two referees, who will be asked to comment on your musical ability, your work with a choir, and your experience as a collaborative colleague, one of whom should be a member of the clergy.
Selected candidates will be invited to come to St. Michael’s to audition.
Within an interview, candidates will be asked to perform on the organ, accompany the choir singing a hymn, and to continue improvising on that hymn for a short time, and to conduct a short choir practice on a piece of music advised beforehand.
Applications can be sent by post or by email to —
Revd. Tony Whatmough
Vicar, St Michael and All Angels, Headingley.
16 Shire Oak Rd.
0113 274 3238/07711335050